
SINGAPORE – At-Large New gTLD Working Group
Tuesday, February 10, 2015 – 16:30 to 17:30
ICANN – Singapore, Singapore

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: ...to her reports and the presentations that she has put forward to us first, but immediately after that, with your indulgence, I would like to bring a time critical issue to the table, and that is that proponents of an extraordinary finance request, which goes through the ALAC finance and budget subcommittee, have requested the support and indulgence of this taskforce for something that has to be in by, I think, the end of the week.

So, we've gathered here, it seems ridiculous if we can't spend the time needed to formalize what I'm assuming a supportive role for a particular project, pilot project plan, which is to do with captioning. So we will come back to that, we will make it an earlier agenda. Is there anyone who objects? Please don't tell me you're objecting.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I'm not. I know who emailed me, I don't know if their on the call, because [Jolly] is also, and Ken also very interested in this. And I'm not sure if they've got some time zone issues, whether they've made it onto the call, but they sent their information on to me and others.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Judith. And we will return to the specifics of that when we actually deal with the item, which is the time it should be brought forward. So now, next cab off the rank, we're going to do, I believe,

Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

updates. So I think the most important update we have is from Laura, and you've got a little presentation, and it's loaded. I'm just looking to see that the magic has happened. Thumbs up. Laura, my dear, over to you.

LAURA BENGFORD:

Okay. Thank you very much Cheryl, and hello everybody. I have a very quick update to give on the very important work, as you mentioned Cheryl, for updating our website to be accessible. So if you could just proceed to the next slide please.

I just wanted to give a very brief status on kind of where we are and where we ended up with, the request for proposal that we issued for late September. As a reminder, what we issued out an open RFP process, and also did some research for remediating our ICANN dot org, and coming up with some tools and plans to give us guidelines for all of our websites that we do, to conform to the W3C accessibility guidelines, version 2.0 level to double, double A.

So, we had a very good response coming back in by our deadline, which was January 20th. We did have five vendors respond. It was quite a process reading through all of the RFPs, but a very informative process as well. A lot of very detailed responses and tools that were issued. I did want to make a quick call out and thank you to Gunela, who participated as we discussed and asked for a volunteer to help us.

And so both of us sorted through the various vendors. We had a storing process, and we're in the very final stages of evaluating those vendor RFPs, and actually going into the final demonstrations of those tools



tomorrow, with those vendors that we've asked back. So we've been asked by our procurement department to not share which of those vendors we have submitted until we finish the process, in fairness to those vendors.

But I think Gunela and I have been very impressed with the response that we received. And we should be in a position to make a final decision on that in a couple of weeks here. And we are still on target for completing that assessment in late April timeframe. This is very well timed, just to add a quick note before I close out with some of the work that we're doing in spinning up some new website, the At-Large website, we're very much actively working on right now.

And so these guidelines and feedback and help from this vendor will be extremely important as we start building out those new website, and others to come such as GAC and some of the other websites. So that's the update from me Cheryl, and back to you. If there is any questions.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Laura. That's exactly where I was heading. I was going to say, Gunela, would you like to have any words?

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Yes, thank you very much. Can you hear me?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Loud and clear.



GUNELA ASTBRINK: Thank you. Yes, just wanted to add, it has been really good working with Laura on this assessment of the [inaudible]. And we will be conducting some interviews, evaluations with the vendors tomorrow actually. And hopefully, I can participate time wise in those. So I think the particular proposals have been detailed, and I think that once a decision is made on the successful vendor, we should have a good process going through to make ICANN's websites accessible.

So I'm very excited about that. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Gunela, that is fabulous news. Go ahead Gunela.

GUNELA ASTRBRINK: Yeah, I think I'm losing...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: I was about to tell you what was happening. Gunella, it's Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the record here. At this point in the day, the Adobe Connect system is undergoing some maintenance. So it's not even just gremlins, it's sort of planned interruptions, which unfortunately come right across, which I think is kind of wily amusing, the accessibility taskforce's work.

That's perhaps just my sense of humor. So yes, it's not just you, we're all sitting here looking at connection error and connection lost, so at least having the backup as we do, belts and braces, we still have you on audio. So while we have you on audio, I note, and I just want to put it to



the record here, that you've also recently, in the last 24 to 36 hours, put to our list a couple of other updates and reports.

I would love to tell you we can display them, but we're also looking at the words troubleshoot right now. So if you would like now to take the opportunity in our agenda, Gunela, to very, very briefly just bring to the record the other updates that I know that you've sent to the list. Thank you Gunela, over to you.

GUNELA ASTBRINK:

Okay, thanks Cheryl. So yes, I'm referring to my own document on my computer here now. So it's a little bit tough when everyone can't see it, but I did send it to the list, so if you are able to open it up in your attached Word document, that would be great.

So the initial task that we had on our primary objective, we know that there has been the work that's currently underway on the web accessibility, and also the great work that Judith and Glenn have been doing on captioning, but apart from that, on the top of the objectives and actions, is a stock take of ICANN's actions on accessibility for people with disability, and ICANN policy and processes.

So, I picked up the pen on this, and put together a quick survey that is about 16 questions. And they're based on the objectives and actions, and also on the business disability forums technology taskforce. This is a UK based organization, and very well worthwhile checking out a varied approach to accessibility. So I've divided up the questions, which hopefully can, once we agree and we might want to adjust some of the questions, hopefully this survey can then be sent to relevant senior



directors across ICANN, to see the current state of play, and then follow up in X number of months, maybe a year or so to see what has changed.

So the questions are divided between policy, HR, communications, and IT. And I'm not going to read them out because we don't have time for that, but have a look at them. If you have any comments now, we could finalize it, but yeah, Cheryl, how do you want to do this particular...?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you Gunela. Cheryl for the record. We have blessedly got up in our room, not in the Adobe Connect room, but what we are looking at in terms of projection, your document. So we were able to scroll through. And right now, we are looking at the questions relating to policy.

So perhaps what we'll do is pause and deal with this particular item before you move on to your other matters. You raised the questions, where to now with this? Well I think, first of all, let's take the temperature of the room, because I can't help but say that from time to time, because it amuses me. No, I'm not going to do that, it has upset Olivier, he's having a hissy fit in the corner now.

So, I'm not going to take the temperature of the room, I'm going to ask is there any objections to this very well crafted, and well founded, and of course, already accepted state of the art work for this to be put now as a product from our group, with our deep thanks to Gunela for pulling this together? And ask Chris, and Christopher, and Laura of course, how can you help us proceed with this?



Do you believe this is a useful exercise? We've not got a small survey document on the table that if filled out by your key staff, which we don't get to use, so I suspect you might as well do that, will give us very important baseline, survey, and comparative points to show the growth and development of accessibility in ICANN. Is this a way forward you would find useful?

We are trying to work smarter, not harder here. So over to you Christopher.

CHRISTOPHER MONDINI:

This is Chris Mondini from ICANN. I like that. Work smarter not harder, I'm going to use that. You have a lot of good expressions Cheryl. First of all, thank you. I think that the work that Gunela put in was excellent, and I think it's a very good start. What I did immediately upon reviewing it, was share it with Nora [inaudible], who is vice president of public responsibility programs.

They're not very present at this particular ICANN meeting on the ground, but she replied to me overnight and wanted me to pass along that she and her team have been following, tracking the work of this working group, and is in touch with Heidi. And would like to take Gunela's work and discuss it with Heidi, probably the week after this meeting, and come back to you to see where we can partner and team together, and how it would be executed, implemented across ICANN.

Because I do agree with what you said, it would be a very valuable baseline. Be very informative, and it would also, in the exercise of doing



it, help to, as you say, begin to make it into the culture and DNA of the organization. So thanks again to this group and to Gunela in particular.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Christopher, and it's because of all of the C's. I've got more Chris' than I can possibly want in one corner over here. I'm going to call you C1 and C2 shortly. Cheryl for the record. Gunella, how do you feel about that approach? I'm not seeing any mood in the room that says other than affirmative on that, view from you?

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Yes, this is Gunela for the record. [Inaudible] positive response, I'm very happy with particular people discussing it in staff and coming back, presumably to Cheryl and the list, to see how we can move forward on this.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Terrific, okay. I see Glenn's card up. Glenn, do you have a point to make?

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Yeah, is Laura still on the line?

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Laura, are you with us my dear?

LAURA BENGFORD: Yes I am, hi Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Hi. Can you ask...? I have a particular question on the SSB bar tool AMP, the AMP tool. Would that be incorporated as an evaluation tool on the new site, or would that be a third party evaluator on the new website?

LAURA BENGFORD: Yes Glenn. The AMP tool is one of the tools that we are [inaudible]...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Laura, you were breaking up. Cheryl here. It was a bit like ship to shore radio in the bad days just then. Can I ask you to articulate carefully and speak slowly, and repeat your last paragraph please.

LAURA BENGFORD: Okay, I'll try one more time on this. There is a very strong echo and so I hear my voice back, and so it's a little hard. But Glenn, yes, the AMP tool is one of the tools that we are looking at in a couple of the proposals that we have received back. So that is a tool that we are looking into.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Glenn, before you do a follow-up, I've got a technical point here. Go head please Gunela.

GISELLA GRUBER: Gisella for the record...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Gunela, it was Gisella...

GISELLA GRUBER: ...just for the record. We're having technical difficulties in the room here. Just to remind everyone, when the person on the phone bridge is speaking, please do put all of the microphones off. It's creating a terrible echo, and it's for recording purposes as well, thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Gunela, I meant to say Gisella when I said your name, my apologies. Back to you Laura. Now Glenn, actually has a follow-up, so let's hope the gremlins let him get that through to you clearly, Glenn.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Okay. Glenn again. In terms of the evaluation using AMP, would that be another party, or the winner of the contract for the RFP. It's more of a process type question, Laura, you may not have that answer, but I think it would be prudent to have a third-party evaluator. I didn't see the RFP, so I would be curious on how you would approach that.

LAURA BENGFORD: Yes, Glenn one of the things that Gunela and I are going to be evaluating in that demonstrations tomorrow of the tools is exactly the question that you are asking regarding the tool. At least one of the vendors is tool agnostic, which means that they will be recommending best of breed tool independent of owning their own tool.



And that is exactly why we requested some extra due diligence on demonstrations of the tools that we are using. So we should have a better answer to that question after tomorrow's demonstration.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Laura. And Glenn has now put his card down, so I don't think he wants to speak anymore. This is Cheryl for the record. Are there any other questions that relate to either Laura's earlier web based report or what Gunela has put forward to us now, which is the survey aspects in terms of getting our baselines done?

Okay. So, Gunela, did you have anything you wanted to say before we move on in our agenda.

Okay. If you do, I'm sure you'll find some way of getting back to us. We may have lost Gunela, we might want to double check on that. Okay, there we go.

GUNELA ASTBRINK: It's very, very broken up.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Gunela, Cheryl for the record. The question was, do you have anything else you wish to say now, before we move on in our agenda?

GUNELA ASTBRINK: No, I'm happy to talk to the primary objectives, which was the other item I worked on.



CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Gunela. If we could now move to the primary objectives, over to you.

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Thank you Cheryl. This is Gunela for the record. I don't know if you're hearing me as well as I'm not hearing you. For interest of accessibility, it's like someone with severe hearing impairment that is just picking up a word here and there. But I'll just continue talking, and hopefully you will hear me.

We've got the primary objectives for the accessibility taskforce. Interestingly enough, I drafted the first lot of objectives and actions a year ago, for the Singapore meeting. So a year has gone and we're back in Singapore. And so, we've got the two main headings, moving on touch accessibility. And the second one is, as I scroll down, ensuring minimal barriers to participation and engagement with ICANN processes and practices.

And the particular task or actions under each of those objectives, have been added to slightly, and also at the LA meeting, there was a swat and a smart analysis. I couldn't participate, except as a remote, very remote participant then because it just wasn't possible in that sort of situation. And since then, I've worked on the notes from the LA meeting to put some more information under the swat and smart columns.

And Glenn, this morning, has done a fantastic job in filling out a lot of detail under the smart column. So I thank you very much for that. There is some very useful guidance there. I had also suggested that we



might want to have two additional columns. One would be titled status, which would be regarding who are the key people working on that particular task, and also the dates that started and it was completed.

The other column I'm suggesting is for comment. So there would be all sorts of things that can be placed in there, regarding progress, any issues, whatever. So without going into too much detail, we've got the priority level of effort, and the one is obviously top priority, and then AA in this case, we will stock take, means that it could start and finish within six months. And with a relatively lower [inaudible] as we see it, but staff may not see it that way.

So we'll see how we go. The second one on the list, and I'll ask Glenn to maybe make comments about his particular additions in the smart column. But I just wanted to note that the second item is about disability awareness tool kits being developed, and this also is considered to be high priority with a time frame starting six months, maybe taking a bit longer to complete.

And to me, it seems that it's a logical step now that we're starting to roll with some of the actions for the accessibility taskforce, to actually ensure that we have awareness toolkit in [inaudible] for development, and then obviously to do the disability awareness training. And there is a lot of information there about various ways of doing it, because if we're going to go ahead with a stock take, and it means that we're starting from base level, and staff probably, with the exception of the staff who are at this meeting and some others who have had contact with the accessibility taskforce, may not have a high awareness of



disability and how it impacts some of the work being done within ICANN.

So, to do this disability awareness tool kit now, and have it started so that when we might do a stock take again in 12 months time, we can do a comparison, and that would be really useful. Again, in the interest of time, I'm not going to go through each one. There are some others that are priority ones, and that are relatively low effort, like key note speakers, for example.

And I think I might leave it there, and ask for any comments, and ask Glenn to maybe comment on the smart analysis he has done.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Thank you Gunela, Cheryl for the record. And we'll have to unpack a couple of things from what you've just presented to us, but again, thank you very much for this work. Glenn, I am afraid I have not looked at what you've added today on the smart part. If you can very briefly bring us up to speed.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

It's a lot of material. I was really impressed with the list of tasks that we came together. And so what I did was took, well going back, it was originally with the ATLAS recommendations. This was a core idea. All of the committees came up with is greater accessibility, and you can define it in very different ways. We, with this committee, just focused on accessibility with people with disabilities.



We went and we brainstormed, we had a great meeting. So I took all of the tasks, and then I broke it down to the results based management charts. Unfortunately we can't go through it here, but there is a lot of material here where I went through the standard, specific, measurable, achievable results in time sensitivity. It needs us all to look at it, and if I'm off the wall, the timelines are right. It has got to be then converted to a project management tool like [Trillio] where we can do first, second, third, what are things that are doable? Is there a budget? Or just pie in the sky?

So this is, I strongly recommend this community to review what I've done. If it's off the wall, edit.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Cheryl Langdon-Orr for the record. Concise and clear, thank you very much Glenn. And so whilst we have a couple of action items I've subtly put across to, just had a mental blank sadly on Silvia's name, which is very sad. It's probably lack of sugar. I'm eating [inaudible] instead of sugar. With what you were saying, Gunela, the addition of the columns, I think that makes perfect sense to me.

I would simply change the nomenclature, if you will indulge me to allow that, from comments on your farthest column to notes, because every Wiki page has a comment section. And you know what's going to happen, people are going to get confused. So if that's the case, then staff have already captured that, and we'll manage to make it so when we find the right Wiki guru table expert to do that for us.



Back to the action item on us all, is now to look at the substantive work that has been done in this document, and I would suggest we give ourselves some sort of time before our next meeting, perhaps only just before our next meeting, but before our next meeting, and Gisella is going to tell me when that is shortly, to have put some form of basic edits, or comments, or suggestions into this work that's being done.

This helps us a great deal today, because what it is going to do is take a lot of that discussion time that we have blocked out, and now we're just going to take it as an action item, on us all, to do some of that online. So thanks for that Gunela, thanks for that Glenn. Gunela, is there anything else that we need to capture from what you presented?

Because I'm not seeing questions and no requirement for discussion in the room, unless you have particular questions. I've got something to say, but is there anything from you?

GUNELA ASTBRINK: This is Gunela for the record. No [inaudible]...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Please say again Gunela. Cheryl for the record.

GUNELA ASTBRINK: Yes, this is Gunela for the record. No, I don't have any other questions or comments at this stage.



CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you. Cheryl for the record again. And thanks very much. I looked at the seat, I'm sorry. You're just going to have to change your name with something with C, because I think C to the power of three just works better. So anyway. C1 and C2 over there. This is now going to have to be socialized with you and we'll have to look at what we can do and take that with the next step.

Is there any time, let's be honest, between now and our next face to face meeting in Buenos Aries, that is likely to happen? Because we need to know where in the track of time we might be able to do this. Christopher.

CHRISTOPHER MONDINI: Hi, Christopher Mondini for the record. So again, all very good suggestions and very practical, pragmatic way forward, especially what you've outlined, Gunela. I would like, as I mentioned, I think the action item that Heidi and Silvia have is from a staff perspective, to get the staff on a call, probably next week, talk about the realities of issues that have been raised about what's doable from a resource point of view, what's doable in a way that will have a lasting benefit, or an annual benefit, that won't be burdensome but will be informative, find the key people that can push it forward.

Then I would like to come back, and this is where I don't know if there is a way to come back to maybe this group or a subset of this group, to tease out what we think would work, and maybe have a, formulate the proposal before the Buenos Aries meeting. That's what I'm suggesting, I'm looking for my colleagues also there too, to see if I've over promised. Okay. Thanks.



CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Over promising is not an issue, under delivering is. So that will be fine. Cheryl for the record. I think that's terrific. That's actually better than I had hoped for, because I know everyone is extraordinarily busy, and I'm amazed that you're going to have that much time to commit. We have a next meeting of this committee when, Gisella? One moment, it will happen.

It will probably be around the 10 days or so after what you're talking about happening. So what we may provisionally do is set a little, more generous a time in our agenda. Get rid of the boring stuff really quickly, and have a little drill down and discussion, and some feedback, and some reality checking for us, because we're all keen, and we will rush ahead as fast as you let us. But we know there are moderations and controls and gates and brakes, and so if we can discuss all of that, in a fearless and frank manner, that would be terrific.

So we might do that, if you'll agree to that, at our next accessibility meeting. Okey-dokey? Right. I'm now going to give up on the agenda in general, I suspect, I could barely read it, and I think we've done bits of it in all sorts of different orders, but I do want to now, is not spend time on the review on the topic of captioning, because you've all had a brilliant and quite, I think, informative if not, sadly, unsuccessful in some ways, demonstration and check through, particularly with the mobile apps, etc. on captioning at our last meeting.

And we can report on that, I think, on the basis... I want to spend the time now, to pick up the additional action item, sorry, agenda item that I've slipped in here for our consideration. It has been a request that the



accessibility taskforce, in some way endorse a proposal that is going through a process for pilot project funding, and it is to do with captioning. I will recognize you obviously, because you're the protagonist. So you pretty well need to relax there. I will get to you Judith, I promise. I'm just putting it together.

We have had this sent to the list. I will note, for the record, that there has been a review of this within the finance and budget subcommittee of the ALAC, feedback has been given to the authors, and there may or may not be edits which the authors will bring to our attention. The question on the table for this group is as follows.

Are you in a position to give individual or group support to this proposal? That's going to be what we agree or not on. We have, however, for the record, considerable individual support, which has been sent to the list, and I will ask staff to capture the naming of each of those, so that becomes part of our record. So that's what I was planning to do, because there are people who are not on this call, but have responded to the list in their personal capacity.

It may mean that we're to keep a working group poll done on this. I have to put a call to the list, and if that happens, so be it. But let's see how we go. So Judith, over to you.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

Yes. This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. Yes, Cheryl, thank you so much for presenting the issue. We did bring it to the ALAC finance and budget meeting, and we did get some feedback, and I've been working



with some of the other members of the taskforce, Siranush, Glenn, Grunela, and others, to do some modifications of this.

Most of the modifications are what was sent to the list recently, when I sent to the accessibility taskforce, but then later, also, we're taking into consideration some of the comments on trying to include webinars within the topics. And so I've been working with Siranush on some ways of fashioning it.

And so, to capture webinars, we want to say, instead of keeping it the three different levels, but also adding in either working groups or webinars as the other part of the component, so that we can kind of capture all of the data. With the key being here is, we need to try to create metrics in the widest possible areas. And so, metrics, in trying to increase engagement, within ICANN for people, both in the region, and also in other parts.

So later webinars, people may not be reading them right now, listening to them at that moment, but they want to be reviewing them, and the captions that tie in with it, will be helpful in that. So we're trying to figure out within this very small pilot, how we capture each different scenario, so that we can get some metrics, that we can do an evaluation, and then the guy, he would be as after each month, or two months, or whatever, to do an evaluation so far of how this has been going.

We would want to try to create evaluations after each call, to see what, to try to create some metrics, and gain some benefits, and figure out what to do. We'll work with staff and others to try to create a survey form, that they can fill out right afterwards, and that's just an idea.

So most of the other things are listed in here. And I will send another revised version with this new wording to the list, but so you should look at what I sent, and then that should be most of the guides on it.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you very much Judith. I appreciate the fact that, despite a somewhat negative and aggressive approach to this from me, and I'll put it to the record that that was my approach, somewhat negative and aggressive, I appreciate the efforts to make changes which I think make it more suitable application. Coming to you now Siranush.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Siranush Vardanyan for the record. Thank you Cheryl. We have a couple of opportunities to talk with Judith about this proposal, and I expressed my concern related to this. And I would like to just to bring this to the table as well. My concern was the captioning of monthly meetings, which was initially the idea by Judith, may not be such effective, like if we caption capacity building webinars, which we are running, and which we have posted later in the Wiki, which are available.

And the opportunity gives us our Wiki, technical, it gives us the opportunity that your PowerPoint can be parallel goes with the presenter, and the captioning can be, at the same time, simultaneously, shown on the presentation when you are going visiting this Wiki, this webinar, after the webinar itself, and you can read it. You can listen it, and you can read the captioning as well.



So my concern was that maybe this was double efforts to use captioning during the monthly meetings, or ALAC meetings, but rather use them for webinars, for capacity building webinars. Thank you.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: Thank you Siranush. And I believe Judith, very small reply, but I think you've recognized enough.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Right. Well I also wanted to, Siranush has an excellent idea about the webinars, after the fact, but one of the things what we're trying to do, besides the accessibilities, also reach out to people in developing countries, who are very bandwidth limited, really want to participate, and get more engaged with ICANN, and having great difficulties with the Adobe Connect, and only being on the call, not seeing a streaming text.

And so I would also, one of the things, try within the regional group, try to bring those people in, more and get them more involved. And so that's also why I want a strong focus on the regional, because that is where engagement happens, and if they get turned off by a monthly meeting, not being able, they're not going to continue being engaged, and that's what I want to promote.

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR: It's Cheryl for the record. I'm delighted to hear design success, because I think that, unless that's the underpinning, the majority of the requests... Let's be really clear here. The majority of the requests that



will come in from community for this specific funding, will get a no. They will not get funded.

Very few will get through. This does not mean what does not get through is not worthy, and let's make that really clear, but the fact of the matter is, the cake for this is only going to be so big, and the whole of ICANN community is after slices of it. So if we can design for success, then that's great.

One thing I wanted to ask you about with the current version Judith, and I hope you're taking this as friendly criticism. The definition of working groups, because if I was sitting in judgment, which probably luckily I'm not. If I was sitting in judgment, I would think that, to benefit our broader interaction by use of this very valuable tool, in primary activities such as what will be going on in either some of the cross community working groups, or the activities with the support organizations, would be better bang for my buck, if I was having, if it was my bucks, then the slightly narrower field of what goes on within the regions.

And I wondered whether there was wiggle room there to improve.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

My only issue with that is, if this is an ALAC only proposal, we can't discuss... Maybe I'm totally wrong, within the supporting organization, since we're not proposing it for the supporting organizations. But we're proposing for ALAC, and since ALAC is based on regional organizations, that's why I've targeted it.



And maybe there is a different for us for the working meetings. We already have requests by one of our members on the accessibility thing, to have captioning, from Ken [Hanson], so if that's one meeting, I want to give the opportunity for another meeting, within ALAC since this is an ALAC proposal, but if there is...

I know a lot of other supporting organizations would like to get some of the work, but they're not in the...

CHERYL LANGDON-ORR:

Understood. But what where I was coming from was to facilitate our input into those ICANN based policy development processes. So I think there is some room there. I am going to have to get down on my bended knee and apologize. I have to be called away to somewhere else. I'm handing the chairmanship over to Olivier, and what I want him to do is as follows.

Recognize the individual support we have, continue the discussion so we can put this as far to bed as we can, and so it assists with any tweaking that Judith and her team may or may not want to do, and then, what I think would be the action item out of this Olivier, will put a, if this group agrees, then we'll put a call to the list with say 72 hours, a simple polling to our membership using the big pulse, to see whether or not we will give it committee support.

Assuming it gets all of that, I wish it well, but we do need to recognize that if it gets negative response, it doesn't mean it's not worthy, it just means it's not the right thing at the right time. And most importantly,



make sure we don't do stuff that's being done elsewhere, and for that, there are boys over there you might need to talk to.

I apologize to leave.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Cheryl. Olivier Crépin-Leblond speaking. Taking over from Cheryl. So we have a few more people in the queue. The action items which you have mentioned here, I gather will be in the transcript. So I'm not sure whether they have been, you did take them. Okay, fantastic. So in the queue, we have Satish Babu.

SATISH BABU: Thank you Olivier. Satish Babu for the record. I think I would also like, I am strongly in support of this proposal, not just from the point of view of accessibility challenged people, but also, as it has been hinted on, by Judith, for the people who are bandwidth challenged in developing countries, and also people who are language challenged otherwise, who don't speak English as a first language.

So when you take into account the fact that there are very diverse regions even within, for example, APRALO, where people speak different languages, they are bandwidth challenged, and some of them are also accessibility challenged. Combining these three factors, even for normal people, so-called normal people, it's a very valuable kind of a resource to have captioning, live captioning.

So coming from an area of such diversity, I would be, I would strongly recommend that we take this up. Thank you.



OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Satish. Next is Glenn McKnight.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Glenn McKnight for the record. We had two demonstrations of the tool of Captions First. First starting with the technical taskforce, because as a technical taskforce, we've been looking at different conferencing tools throughout the year. And we were incredibly impressed with the translation capabilities, the change in font colors, the sizing. And in both cases, the technical taskforce and accessibility groups, we had overwhelming interests.

Now obviously it's a financial issue to support this idea, but the way Judith has crafted the proposal and her refinements that she shared with me today, I think it has a lot of merit, and I strongly support it.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Glenn. Judith Hellerstein.

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: Yes. Judith Hellerstein for the record. I also wanted to mention that, I was in several other meetings, and people were talking to me, either from the GNSO or the ccNSO, talking about the problems in their region, being very bandwidth challenged, and having trouble participating. And so I mentioned what I was working on in ALAC, and they're very interested in this. And the goal, I think, is if we do a pilot, to get some metrics, so that we can make some more decisions and later, and we can only get metrics if we do a pilot.



And then maybe we can use those metrics to argue for other countries, other areas in the ccNSO, GNSO, and other groups to use those, to try to use that for some of their members that are very bandwidth challenged.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much Judith. When we went through, when the finance and budget subcommittee went through this request, you noted the costs which were associated with this of course. There is a significant cost associated with this roll out, and one shows here, recurring activity about six times a month.

As a pilot, would it be possible to consider less than six times a month?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN: I look at that, actually the cost probably are not as significant, depending on whether we use... In one of the modifications that I was working with Siranush was that, possibly we'd make a call out on a RALO meeting, whether they need a Spanish or French, and maybe we can only stick to captioning in one language to try out things, and not have the three languages at the same time.

Just looking at different metrics and trying to figure out, well, what would work. The goal is really to, I think, to get like a show saying, go for success. We want to get more engagement within the region. We want to get more engagement with the people, and trying to figure out what works, and we can fine tune the things.

I only mention a year because I think we want to do trials of different other things, and if we do less than three, it's not going to give us

enough metrics, or people enough chance to build awareness, and to figure out that this is round, this is available to them. And so that is sort of what I was gearing at.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: All right, thank you Judith. Any... Oh, Siranush. Siranush Vardanyan.

SIRANUSH VARDANYAN: Thank you Chair. Siranush Vardanyan for the record. I support mainly the idea, but with that modification, again, I would like this... One of the alternative options for this, I may see that the captioning of our capacity building webinars. So for me, that would be much more relevant to ALSs than our monthly meetings.

I mean, from the captioning point of view. The good point of this proposal I also see here that as Judith explained, that technically the caption has another, will go through another bandwidth. So for easier... So it would be easier for people to use that bandwidth than to come to the call itself through Adobe.

So this may be a very good option to be used, and this part I really very much fond of. So that's why... I like it, I would love to have it, but with modifications there as well. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you for this Siranush. And indeed, yes we do have at least one person from the Cook Islands who has a maximum amount of megabytes per month, and it goes in chunks. And of course, when she attends more ICANN meetings, more calls, Adobe Connect goes just a

few megabytes beyond that, and I think she has to pay another 100 bucks on top of it. It's just, bang.

Whilst of course, if she just received the PowerPoint by email, and then have the captioning, then it would be easy. I still have Glenn McKnight in the queue.

GLENN MCKNIGHT:

I think maybe with regards to the finance issue with this, just a slight modification because price is everything. Perhaps we can look at best practices, and perhaps look at our range of service providers. We can do some research. Maybe there is some better pricing, quality that's out there, that could be suggested in the model.

I'm just curious, if Judith, have you done any really solid comparison with other providers?

JUDITH HELLERSTEIN:

This is Judith Hellerstein for the record. No I have not, but also, pricing is also determined on what kind of volume pricing deals that ICANN may be able to negotiate with the vendor. We don't know what kind of deals they can do. This is, from what these prices I got put on the budget thing, proposal, is a 10% discount, which is what ICANN would get as a new customer.

If they sign a contract for a year saying we're going to be doing X number of things, possibly they'll get better volume pricing, and the whole thing will go down. You know, I'm not, that's the IT's department over there, who is negotiating that. And hopefully they can get some



better deals. But as what Siranush is saying, it's from my understanding, what Josh can correct me, is they can just get a website, an URL for streaming text, which should be significant reduction in bandwidth, and that the Cook Islands, it's other Pacific ones, in Africa, or [inaudible], could be able to follow on a streaming text.

And that is what we're looking also to get them more engaged.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Judith. I can't help thinking, spend more to save more. Not quite sure how that works. Glenn McKnight, and we are reaching the end of this session.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: I just want to make it clear, that we went through the process for the RFP process, and we selected five good vendors, and we had a criteria. And I don't understand why we can't do the same thing in this captioning. Why assume we're just going with one vendor? We can have comparable other vendors that can do it right?

I just want to ask Josh, you have a Saint symbol on your computer, you realize that, right? Yeah, okay.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks Glenn. Any questions, feedback, or thoughts from you guys?

JOSH [BALTZ]: This is Josh [Baltz] for the record, with ICANN staff. Just for a little bit of a clarification, there definitely are lots of parties out there that can

provide captioning. Essentially what a captionist is, is a court reporter. So you can get down to \$50 an hour for that, however, you just have to recognize that in some cases when you have a court reporter, they're not accustomed to working in a live environment, similar to if you've ever watched the news and you see captioning come across and it's incorrectly spelled, typed out, usually what happens in that case, is it's a court reporter.

I will just say, just from based on the experience of the last couple of years with this, you really get what you pay for when it comes for scribing, the captioning. So yeah, but there are definitely lots of parties out there. The Caption First, I do know that there are other technical groups and working groups that do it. The pricing seems very reasonable on it. You know, the scribes that we use for ICANN meetings, they know the language, they know a lot of the community, but I think it's great to introduce other groups to be able to expand that pool for exactly these types of situations.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much Josh, and you touched on some very good points with regards to the language and the specific, all of the acronyms here. If you get the acronyms wrong, you might get the whole sentence completely wrong at that point.

Quickly, Glenn and then [Rafatani]. Okay, [Rafatani].

[RAFATANI]: [Rafatani] here. I agree with what Josh was saying, but I think also, we worry about a monopolization of one company. Of course, if one

company continues doing it, of course, one company will continue knowing the acronyms, and other companies aren't, it also controls the monopolizing of the finances about it, and if they then choose to increase costs, we're then stuck with one vendor.

That's also something to consider. So yes, it might be difficult to start, but as this is a beginning of a process, maybe we should look at expand our cycle elsewhere.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Raf. Now since this is a budget request, oh Glenn, and then I'll sort of conclude.

GLENN MCKNIGHT: Sorry. It's a totally different item. I want to go back to what Genela, she sent me the survey, she did it as a text. I will produce it as a survey gizmo. It will be a full-fledged survey, to share it with the committee. So you can put that as an action item. I'm converting it now over lunch.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you Glenn. So just closing off on this, this is of course a funding request, a budget request. So it all comes down to the money. And I think maybe one of the action items we should really be looking at is to also look at the equivalent cost of transcription, find out how much offset we can get from replacing a transcript with the online system, and just make basically a cost assessment on that.

Six times a month perhaps, we've heard some good ideas about having it perhaps rather than in the ALAC call, perhaps having it on our monthly

webinar, because that has a high number of attendees from developing parts of the world. And yeah, we could just do a mixture of these, but that looks like a good way forward.

Any last words? Any other points that Chris 1, Chris 2, and Josh would like to...? The two Chris, no? Okay. Well thank you very much everyone, and we'll meet at the next meeting. Well, first online, and in the future in Buenos Aries. Thank you and goodbye.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]

